Want E-mail @Large?

Thursday, October 7, 2010

So who is danno?

Now that Hawaii Five-0 is back on the air, and 'Book 'em Danno!" returns to popular usage, I started getting questions about why I use danno as a handle in the virtual world.  We set the wayback machine to 1986, and your trusty scribe is completing his bachelor's degree in Computer Science.

I get a call from the CS lab manager about a local company looking to hire folks fresh out of college. They are expanding their software business, and were interested in programmers. The company, Microtech Solutions, is long gone. We delivered accounting software based on Progress Software's 4GL Database, selling AT&T UNIX-based servers. My first computer was an AT&T 3B2:

The company had a standard for issuing user id's: use the first three letters of your first name, and the first two letters of your surname. So: Dan Notov became danno. I liked the way it sounded, the reference to Hawaii Five-0, and the fact it is easy to remember. Whenever I create a login somewhere on the Internet, I usually employ a variation of danno.

No comments: